Wednesday 18 February 2015

Budapest - Day 3

It's my last day in Budapest and I'm definitely going to miss it! 

I ate so much for breakfast this morning it's kind of scary! I had toast with that hot paprika cream, peppers, olives and fry up and peach juice. Is it just me or do you always eat loads of food when you're in a hotel? And that food is normally the kind of thing you'd NEVER have for breakfast? 

After breakie I walked down to the bus stop to catch the bus to go towards Andrassy Avenue (Andrássy út in Hungarian). The bus stop had this bakery beside it with the largest loaves of bread I think I've ever seen in all my life - they weighed 3kg! 

The House of Terror was all about the Nazi and Soviet Union control of Hungary. I hadn't even realised that Nazis came to Hungary, which was really interesting to learn about. I obviously don't know much about the history of Hungary, but it seems to be that until the fall of the Soviet Union, Hungary had been a terrible, scary place to live. The house had three floors with the basement being used as a prison during the Soviet control. The cells only had a wooden board as a bed - a toilet and sink weren't even provided and some of the rooms had no sunlight. Apparently they used to torture their prisoners by depriving them of sleep, water and food as well as more brutal methods. I just can't comprehend how any human being could ever be so cruel, I physically can't understand how you could do that. Even though the house is now a museum and currently nothing horrible is going on, it felt like such a horrible place to be in. Everywhere there were real life accounts of what happened to the people of Hungary during the Nazi and Soviet times; they're just so awful and sad. 

After the House of Terror, we went to this restaurant for lunch. We wanted a large lunch as we'd just be catching a bite to eat at the airport later. I had tomato soup with smoked cheese and then gypsy style pork, with potato rostis and spinach. The pork looked a little like this:



I quite liked it although it wasn't my favourite thing by any means - it was quite bitter. The restaurant was really nice however and all the staff were so friendly. Everyone speaks perfect English, which is great, although I always feel so rude not even trying to speak their language. 

We walked to this church after lunch. It was really beautiful. There was this little chapel inside which had someone's hand preserved in glass in it. It looked tiny but I guess that must just be because of how old it is and how long it's been preserved for. We went for a coffee afterwards and I had a Nutella muffin - so scrummy!

I didn't manage to make it up to the royal palace today, although I'm not upset because I've had an amazing time anyways. I think it might have been closed anyway what with Putin visiting and stuff. The city didn't completely shut down like they thought it might although there were a ridiculously large amount of police and helicopters everywhere!

Sorry there haven't been more pictures of the city - my phone camera just isn't good enough :( My dad says I can have his old Nikon one if I buy a new lens so maybe next time I'll have some better photos to show you guys!

Lizzie
 xxx

P.S. please feel free to comment and follow - it means a lot


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, I absolutely love reading what you guys say so please feel free to comment! I'll reply as soon as I can :) xxx